As you might know by now the energy that transforms is fire, which is ruled by Pitta and our Agni (digestive capacity) is governed by it. Our digestive capacity is the key to maintaining the equilibrium, harmony, and wellness. That is why we need to connect and observe our Agni in order to make sure that is working properly. Ama´s root is bad digestion either from food or emotions. Ama is undigested food.
Charaka states that the balance from the doshas directly depends on the strength or weakness from our digestive fire, that is why we need to protect it avoiding the activities which can decrease its strength.
When our doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) are out of balance, the metabolism suffers creating Ama, undigested food (toxins). Ama circulates through the body while get accumulated in the feeble areas which are in need of some support, harming the organs, reducing our immune system and finally manifesting complains in diverse shapes depending on the issues. The cause of the majority of the diseases is Ama, blocking intestines making improper assimilation and absorption of foods. They also block the channels creating an obstruction and the blood vessels, veins, and arteries.
Our Agni gets weak due to the following reasons:
- When we eat an excess of heavy food.
- When we eat too little or too much
- When we consume an excess of cold liquid foods, especially before meals.
- When we eat before the previous meal has been digested.
- Due to the wrong combination of food.
- When we suppress the natural urges of the body, creating our Vata to move in the wrong direction (see below)
- Due to wrong sleep patterns
- When we eat food out its season
- When we have too much sexual activity or too little.
- When we deal with feelings as jealousy, anger, sadness, worry, fear, attachment, anxiety and any kind of suffering.
13 urges which should never be repressed
If our goal is optimum health, we should not confront the body holding natural urges, which also cause many diseases. For some people, this is common sense, but there is so much conditioning within the social norms and rules and consciously or unconsciously we tent to repress them. Listen to your body and make space for them as soon as they come!
- Burping or belching
- Yawning or not to sleep when you are tired
- Not to eat when hungry
- Not to drink when thirsty
- Not to cry when one is sad
- Avoiding to a cough
- Not to gasp after strong exercise
- Hold the semen