Dairy – yeast – sugar – gluten – egg FREE Pancakes
These vegan pancakes are filling, but at the same time are light, nourishing and refreshing, regulating the body temperature in summer due to the cooling sauce. These pancakes reduce the stress levels due to the high levels of magnesium and help in repairing the muscles and reduces the muscle pain after working out. It is important to consume cereals and grains with legumes to be able to get the most of the metabolization of calcium and protein. Children and adult can get their benefits since they are a good source of iron, potassium, folate, copper, zinc, and vitamins as well.
Also due to the clean protein and the few spices, this dish helps to burn the ama (toxins in the body) while activates the digestion without aggravating Pitta dosha constitutions. It helps as anti-inflammatory diminishing bloating and acts as rejuvenate (Rasayana). These vegan pancakes are very easy to digest and a great source of energy. For those who want to keep an eye on the body weight and tone, their bodies are excellent. If Kapha types consume it in moderation, they won’t be aggravated.
Ingredients for these vegan pancakes:
- 1 cup of rice (basmati recommended)
- 1 cup of mung beans
- Some dry ginger (or fresh)
- Some Turmeric
- Pinch of black pepper (to support the absorption of the turmeric)
- Ghee (reduce to few drops for Kapha types)
- 1 cup of dry grated coconut
- ½ lime
Step by step:
- Soak the rice and mung beans overnight or up to 4 hours.
- Wash them good, rinse them and blend them with 30 ml of water and the rest of the ingredients, in case you prefer a thinner consistency you can add a little bit later.
- Take a soup ladle as a measurement for each pancake. On a hot pan add a few some ghee according to your taste and constitution and add the liquid.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes and turn them around.
- In the meantime, while you are cooking the vegan pancakes, you can make the sauce. Take 1 cup of dry grated coconut, add the juice of half lime (green ones) with a bit of salt, fresh ginger and 2/3 cup of hot water (in case you prefer a thicker sauce add a half cup of hot water). Blend all the ingredients and your sauce is ready!
NOTE: in case you don’t like this light cooling sauce for your vegan pancakes you can create the one on your taste. In winter you might like something less cooling.
• Basmati Rice:
Balances all constitutions Vata, Pitta, and Kapha, but this last one when consumes it in moderation. Taste is sweet, has a cooling effect (virya) and it is nourishing, it is light and has drying qualities. It is very easy to digest and restores our digestion calming and soothing the stomach mainly, but all the digestive tract. It is tonic, nutritive, demulcent, laxative, and harmonizing for the lungs. Calms the nerve system, depression lowers the cholesterol, treats diarrhea, helps in diabetes and kidney disorders.
• Mung dal beans:
There are different types as whole beans or split. They cook easier and faster than the rest of the legumes. Reduces accumulation of Pitta and Kapha dosha and Vata should consume it with some good fats to make sure they will not get aggravated. They’re packed with potassium, magnesium, folate, fiber, and vitamin B6,”
• Fresh ginger:
It is a stimulant expectorant, carminative, opens the channels and clear toxins digesting the ama (undigested food). Anti-inflammatory, sattvic and painkiller. It is tridoshic but dry version pacifies more Pitta types than the fresh one. Useful in diarrhea, mucus, edema, fever, sinus, dyspnoea, shortness of breath, coughing, hiccups and calms the stomach.
Balances all constitutions but in excess can be very warming for Pitta types. It is stimulant, alterative, antiseptic, analgesic, aids in the digestion of sugar, fats, oils and is helpful in diabetes, hypoglycemia, and overweight. Fight free radicals and it is excellent during cancer treatments since it has huge anti-oxidant properties.
Clarified butter is an excellent tonic, rejuvenative and antacid. It removes toxins and extra heat from the body, while nourishes and lubricates our organs inside. Ghee helps in the reabsorption of the nutrients. Improves intelligence, the liver function, the power of vision, semen and Ojas (natural body resources) increasing the immune system.
Excellent for Pitta types, it balances Vata, but in excess, it can increase Kapha. It is building and nutritious, refrigerant, diuretic, demulcent and emollient. It is very good during recovery periods from infectious diseases and nourishes the lungs and the skin.
You can use this recipe during summer for breakfast, for lunch or even for dinner, depending on your hunger, your constitution, your digestive capacity, etc.