In Ayurveda, when we face the lack of vitamins we immediately look to the diet, the diet habits, the personal digestion of and the function of the Agni. Sometimes we might need vitamins due to poor diet and lifestyle and they can be useful in treating certain types of diseases. But until we do not fix the digestive capacity of the person, it makes no sense to administer them, since they will not be absorbed and metabolized.
It is good to mention that many people have weakened their Agni from the prolonged number of vitamins intake. How many they people you know that take supplements as part of the nutrition, just to prevent the unknown possible lack?
Does the Vitamin B12 supplement have side effects?
If your life is in risk and there is no time of fixing your digestive capacity there are some liquid preparation to rescue, which are usually given to elders once a month (under these situations) since is harder to establish their Agni.
Now if you want to increase your vitamin B12 by consuming supplements at least make your that they are organic and not based on synthetic chemicals. The safe dose is about 2.4 micrograms. In either form, some people might experience below side effects, especially when taking them when they do not need it or in excess.
- High blood pressure or increase in blood volume and red blood cells and/or narrowing of a blood vessel
- Acne, rashes, itchy or burning skin. Also, pink or red skin discoloration
- Facial flushing and/or low potassium levels
- Numbness in parts of the body
- Possible allergy to the Vitamin itself
- Nausea and/or difficulty swallowing
- Diarrhea and/or urine discoloration
- Low metabolism of uric acid which can cause arthritis, especially in the smaller bones of the feet, deposition of chalk-stones, and episodes of acute pain. Gout.
What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
Signs and symptoms of a vitamin B12 deficiency can often look like other diseases:
- Lack of energy
- Mental changes: irritability, depression, forgetfulness, psychosis, dementia
- Fatigue after exercising
- Shortness of breath
- Tongue/mouth sores
- Numbness and tingling in parts of the body
- Issues with the eyes
If you are a vegan and experience any of these symptoms, please make sure that you get checked and that you’re consuming enough amounts of vitamin B12 and folic acid in your meals, which is very easy. For more info please read: Increase your B12 and Ayurveda
Vitamin B12 supplement intake according to each dosha
• Vata types: they can get slightly disrupted by the intake of B12 when is not needed.
• Kapha types: they do not get affected much by the deficiency and by its use when there is not currency.
• Pitta types: Due to their internal fire, the vitamins are more consumed (burned out), so when the source is organic and from good quality, they can be pacified.
When Vitamin B12 should be consumed with attention
In case you decide that you want to include supplements of Vitamin B12, please do it with caution in case you are under certain conditions:
- heart complains
- history of gout or cancer
- skin issues
- genitourinary or gastrointestinal disorders
- blood disorders and/or high blood pressure
- low levels of potassium
Check always with your doctor or health practitioner to be advised accordingly.
In case you want to know natural ways of increasing your Vitamin B12 intake please check this link.