The Ayurvedic approach is always to strengthen the body’s health, so that can fight any kind of attack. By the the local use of herbs, including the diminishing of the yeast population in the body (apart from fulminate infections), building up the beneficial bacteria population, limiting and controlling yeast triggers (antibiotics, pills, sugars, etc.), strengthening immune system, and balancing Kapha and Pitta doshas. The Key is to sooth Pitta without provoking Kapha, first through diet and with the support of some herbs.
A very important approach which is often forgotten is the emotional blockage behind each symptom or disease. If we do not identify the causative factors removing its roots, the tree will keep growing. Please read about the Root causes of vaginal infections here.
What and how to eat:
- Consuming Kapha Pacifying food (freshly cooked and warm) in moderate quantities, (low in glycemic index, leafy vegetables, legumes, whole grains, and middle sweet taste fruits; like apple, papaya, etc. Eat salads only at room temperature and occasionally.
- Ghee, coconut oil and olive oil, pacify Pitta, keep the quantity small to maintain a happy Kapha
- Organic whole grains in form of porridge or “juicy risotto”; barley, oats, quinoa, and whole wheat
- Spice your meals with cooling herbs like mint, fennel, and coriander to balance Pitta. In small quantities asafetida, curcuma, cumin, and garlic, along with the above ones to manage Kapha.
- Consume 0.5 to 1 liter from the following herbal infusion: (equal parts) coriander, fennel, licorice, cumin and mint, keep it on a thermos and drink it between meals, not before or after them, during meals is recommended only few sips to increase digestion.
- Bitters like bitter gourd, mint & fenugreek leaves and astringents like salad leaves (to be consumed ONLY at room temperature).
What you should avoid:
- Raw and cold food to control Kapha.
- High glycemic index like sugary and processed foods(white pasta & bread), too sweet fruits, root vegetables.
- Fermented foods, such as vinegar, as mushrooms, cheeses and yeast’s products containing yeast.
- Salt in excess and sour foods like tomatoes also need to be limited
- Wait at least 4 hours between meals, and only eat when hungry.
- Incompatible foods combinations: dairy with fruits and vegetables, fish with dairy etc.
- Avoid alcohol and coffee.
Lifestyle choices for healing and prevention:
- Get 6-8 hours of sleep, preferable go to be around 10 p.m. (Pitta time starts) Avoid to get up late.
- Exercise regularly is good to keep Kapha under control, always to the intensity of half your capacity and keep yourself well hydrated. Never exercise under the direct sun or under hot conditions.
- Avoid tight clothes and synthetic fabrics. Choose cotton instead. Change the wet clothes immediately.
- Yoga and Pranayama are helpful for mental and physical health.
- Avoid extreme weather conditions of hot and cold.
- Try to do not excess your sexual activity.
- Make sure that there is not a mental or emotional blockage. Read (Physical & Emotional root cause of vaginal infections)
- Avoid hygiene products with perfumes and chemicals. Also the use of tampons, since they dry you out. Do not use commercial lubricants, better use cold pressed coco oil, ghee, etc.
- Do not practice vaginal steaming, while the infection is active. Neither douching since it will flush your flora away, and there is a risk of pushing the bacteria into your cervix and uterus. Specific herbal treatments under the supervision of professional could be beneficial on specific situations.
- Use herbal tampons which help to remove anything that doesn’t belong there. Read more here.
- Subidan Taila, Once or twice a week you can soak in a gaze this oil and keep it overnight inside the vagina for prevention (of course where menstruation is not there) and use 2-4 times a day in case the infection is active. Read here.
Plant / Herbal vegan preparations:
-Local washing with Triphala tea.
-Below beneficial herbs are are useful but they should be advised by an Ayurvedic practitioner, after verifying your constitution. The most of them help to make the vaginal mucous stronger and also balance Kapha and Pitta.
- Musali Khadiradi kashayam
- Neem churna or taila
- Aragwadhadi kashayam
- Ashoka Arista
- Chandraprabha vati
- Coco Oil
- Fresh Aloe Vera pulp
Good moment to make a reflection in case you often suffer from it. In case you know someone that could benefit from this information, please feel free to share. Knowledge is power, let’s keep the empowering cycle running. All the best my sister!