We are very happy to announce that Sayoni Care is ambassador of this beautiful project!
What is Eco femme?
Eco Femme is a women-led social enterprise founded in 2010. Based in Tamil Nadu, India, their goal is to create environmental and social change through revitalising menstrual practices that are healthy, environmentally sustainable, culturally responsive and empowering for women around the world.
They produce and sell washable cloth pads made of cotton, provide menstrual health education to adolescents, promoting well being through the whole menstrual cycle and open dialogues on menstruation all along the way. They are affordable and super beautiful too! A great option in case you are not a fan of menstrual cups!
Using cloth pads can prevent thousands of tons of non-biodegradable sanitary waste around the world each month – it takes 500-800 years to decompose a disposable!
Women run their own collective tailoring unit
Eco femme pads are stitched by women self-help group members through a partnership with Auroville Village Action Group (AVAG). More than 20 women have been trained in advanced tailoring and in how to stitch their pads; these women run their own collective tailoring unit called Aval.
Eco femme is one of their customers, and they receive a per piece rate for completed products which enables them to generate a living wage. Currently, Eco Femme’s monthly production order alone provides a full-time livelihood to 7 women.
Eco Femme Values:
When we buy any conscious product is good to know the values behind the brand that we support. At the core of Eco Femme’s educational approach here are the following values:
- Informed choice about menstrual products that promote health and well being – for the individual, for the community and for the earth.
- Menstrual cycle literacy is taught and encouraged to promote relating to menstruation as a cyclical process that includes much more than the overt phase of bleeding.
- Respect for culture recognising that cultural practices may hold meaning and significance – inquiry based conversations that distinguish safe from unsafe practices
- Speaking from love of the earth and authenticity when teaching or sharing about menstruation and sustainable products – never guilt or shame!
- Responsive approaches to suit the context –there is no one size fits all approach or product and programs are tailor made to suit the context.
Pad for Pad contribution!
When you buy Eco Femme pads, you give an adolescent girl in India the opportunity to attend a workshop on menstrual health and the chance to choose washable cloth pads through our Pad for Pad program. Your purchases and donations make washable cloth pads available to girls in need across India, while providing a dignified livelihood to rural women who stitch the pads.
Help us to support them!
Have you seen their all their beautiful products? Click here to join the cloth pad revolution!
Have a wonderful day!
Sayoni Care Team.